Sunday, August 31, 2008

100 miles of glory, and some other stuff

Today me and Mertz showed up to the Sunday ride and I really wanted to do 100miles. So once I told Mertz, he configured a route in his head in about 2 minutes maybe less, and off we went. We went many places today down the steepest gravel roads that shook your body into submission, (I was gripping the handlebars so tight it made my arms hurt) up the steepest climbs that made the legs cry for help, rollers, flats, and great views. I felt good until a big climb on Chadwick road ,and then just blew apart. So we stopped at Kays in Chadwick and I purchased a ham sandwich and shoved it down my throat as fast as possible, at this point I think we were about 60miles in and had no intention on going thru with the century. So we headed back out about ten minutes in I was feeling better I thought I would give it a go. So we ended up going thru Sparta to get more miles in. We made it to the barn swings with 18 more miles to go. So we pushed on made a left toward Highlandville then headed down old 60 HWY. WE made our way to Riverdale I think that was the name of the place I had never seen he cool waterfall. As we started climbing out of there my leg started to cramp up Mertz told me to take on some food, so I ate a few clif blocks and started to feel better again. The end of the ride was climbariffic it was all I could do to get my pedals to turn over going up the last hill on F HWY. Of course the end of the ride we had to go up Riverside it tore me up, but I survived and am very proud of this accomplishment. The feeling was better than any race I have ever done. I couldn't have done it without Mertz though he really helped me out and kept me motivated to keep going. So to him I say THANK YOU! I never though I would be able to ride my bike 100 miles I'm so grateful for the fitness I have to be able to do such things. Just wish we had a camera today, breathtaking views made me proud to live in the Ozarks.

The results


Like my new handlebars more and more everyday.



The aftermath


Friday night at Cartoons was Christy's going away party for work. She starts her new job on Tuesday. I'm so very proud of her.


Not a big fan of PDA. Actually I don't mind it I was just doing this pose for the camera:)

8 comments:

Shane L Nelson said...

Alpe d'Sponge will get you every time!

curtis collins said...

man I was looking for a long ride this weekend. I did 53mi on my own 2/3 into the wind so it was great. hey i'm going down to the crit this saturday in with my mom in springdale AR, you want to go im doing 4's and can give you a ride?

ScottyD said...

don't grip the bars so hard on dirt roads that is the secret.

ScottyD said...

loose fingers

Melody! said...

Great job Brad! I was super glad to share the experience with you. You'll remember it like...forever.

I was thinking afterwards that you could of been home for lunch at least 15' earlier with some lighter/aeroer wheels!
ps. That last pic is priceless.

"Que?"

Brad Jackson said...

Curtis won't be able to make it, homework.
Scott I could not get comfortable going down those hills light on the handlebars so the death grip took over.
Mike I think I would have got home much sooner with better wheels. We should show my wife the difference it makes when using your SL's compared to your Ultimate's.

I cut my cable/internet line last night putting a steak in the ground to hook Belle up to. So I have to wait for the cable guy at 4 today so hopefully I will be able to make the Tuesday nighter.

Melody! said...

ATMO.

Black Oak Racing Team said...

Of the only 2 centuries I have ever done Brad the first was the best. Both were on MS rides and on the first one, I stopped at the last check-point before the end(big mistake) and fell asleep. Our dear friend Kevin Umlauf woke me up and asked if I needed a ride going on to the finish. I relunctantly got back on the bike and Kev drove with me and I finished. I agree with you, GREAT accomplishment. Glad you did it.
Congrats!!!