Sunday, May 18, 2008

Finally Happened (Hellbender Report)

So the day started off good. My legs were feeling good and I got a good warm up in before we sat at the line for 30min waiting to start. There was 50+ riders in the cat5 field so it would make for a good race. When the whistle blew I was on the front for the nuetral and pulled with another guy for the first mile or so. I thought I'm not going to have anything left so I dropped back into the middle of the field. It was the most nerve racking peloton I have ever been in granted this is my 11th race. I mean everytime we would slow there was almost a crash, and people were yelling slowing every 30 seconds. Going downhill sucked bad because people were slamming on their brakes and not leaving enough room. At mile 10 of the race all I wanted to do was get to the front and either try attacking or pull the whole damn peloton just so I wouldn't have to be stuck in there with all those people. There was about 20 or so riders left in the group and I could not get to the front for the life of me (yellow line). So finally on a flater section it started to string out a bit and I was able to get up to about the first ten. As I really wanted to be up there because the big climb was coming up anyway. So we started the fast downhill before the start of the climb. I was leaving quite a bit of room between me and the riders in front. As we aproached the bottom of the hill 40+MPH 2 riders went down in front of me I slammed my brakes on, and thought about bunny hopping them. But then I realized that If I didn't clear them I could hurt them and me pretty bad. So I pretty much just plowed into them did a flip over the handlebars hit the right side of my head pretty good and laid on the ground wondering if I had broke anything. The lady in the wheeltruck got out and told me to stop moving, and another rider that wrecked asked me if I was okay. I tore my helmet off let out some groans and started to get up. I was pretty shook up had some scrapes on my knees and tweaked my wrist a little bit. They asked me if I thought anything was broken and I said no. One of the other riders said he was going to continue. I glad he said that cause I had pretty much thrown in the towel by then. So I said I'm going to finish too. I got on my bike started the climb noticed that my front wheel was wobbling and my rear derailer was bent. So I wasn't able to use all My gears. I actually did pretty good up the climb. By this time I had lost about 5-7 minutes on the main field. So I just though well I'm already in pain I may as well just ride as hard as I can to the finish line. I ended up catching a group of 2 and sprinted by them I didn't want to pull them and I didn't want to set on their wheels. I was holding about 21-23MPH avg the rest of the course by myself I felt good. Anways thats about all for the race I hate riding in CAT5 fields. I did drop my bike off at A&B for Charles to look over tommorow. We also though it would be a good idea to go to urgent care just to make sure I didn't have a concussion, the doctor said I was good and told me I was going to be sore for the next couple of days, then I got a tetnis shot because I hadn't had one in about 11 years so I figured what the hell. I am happy that I finished the race. But it's got me thinking is racing really worth the medical, gear, and buttloads of other crap you have to buy. I mean I love cycling because, well, because I love to ride my bike plain and simple. Getting hurt or hurting other people just to get a jersey or a few bucks isn't worth it. I know you can get hurt just as serisly just on a group ride or by yourself, and I know accidents do happen. But some people will do whatever it takes to try in win with no regard for other peoples saftey. The fellow who caused the wreck kept apoligizing to me and I told him not to worry about it that accidents happen. Im glad they were both okay though. But on the climb one of the guys blew a tire half way up so he pretty much blew a fuse after that. I think I may have even placed better this year than last, we will see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a question of "if" but "when"... But it's more probable and bound to happen if you keep staying in the Cat. 5. That's just the way it is. That's just one of the prices you'll pay staying in that category. There have even been a lot of crashes in the Cat. 3 this year.

I was disappointed blowing a tire while in the lead break in the second lap but I still counted my blessings b/c things could be much worse...like wiping out bad and getting seriously hurt. Your perspective is dead on about a jersey or a win not being worth getting killed or seriously injured. There are too many prima donna sissy boy, pro wannabe's out there that think they can sacrifice the safety of others just for their own benefit.

I'm glad you were not hurt bad and you finished the race. I'm also glad the lady I might have hit with my water bottle was not Christie.

Brad Jackson said...

Thanks dude. It could have been much worse at those speeds. Im in the process of upgrading to a four probably not much better, but at least a 4 would have done 10 ten races. Sorry about your blowout

Melody! said...

Holy toledo! You wrecked at 40?!

Are you starting to get sore in strange places? I usually do.

I totally agree with you about the costs/benefit ratio of racing. I was all gung-ho with upgrading to cat2 after winning a crit last year but then, hot the heals of points, the next race cost me $300 from wrecking and entries and gas! I am no longer caring about upgrading. If I go to a race i go. If I can afford it i go.
I just like riding and making those personal bests whether it be a new watt number or a mph number. I get the same high after doing a personal best training as I do from doing well in a race. The feeling lasts about as long. The street cred just is not as high..

Saying the above. Who's going to know that you averaged 24mph for 4hrs by yourself on a training ride? Not many unless you tell them but plenty people will know that you won the State RR, huh? I guess we all crave attention one way or another.
And yes you can get hurt just riding out in the countryside. Cars, squirrels, dogs etc. The more time you accumulate on the roads, the greater the chances you are to have something unfortunate happen. You can lessen the chances of a car hitting you from behind by getting stronger...fewer cars willl pass you! Ha ha.

"Racing gets in the way of training."
Author unknown(to me).

Get well soon, it's going to be getting too hot for this boy to ride those mtns in AR!

ps. Your blog gets the longest replies! Cathartic for moi'!

Brad Jackson said...

Mike my wrist hurts more than anything. But the doc. said it was fine. I agree that we all want to be recognized for something but personal goals just don't do it like winning races. I think I would like to be known as the nice guy during a race rather than the guy will will try to do anything to win. I try to encourage people on climbs if they are struggling no matter what teams they are part of, and work with people evenly, offer them food or drinks. I had a hard time wondering why you didn't do many races, but your comment put it into perspective for me. You are just as content with reaching a personal goal as you would be winning a race. Kudos to you mate! Agreed with the Arkansas trip I don't think I would fair to well anyway. Im doing the wed. night ride which I probably shouldn't but oh well. It cracks me up when Im going the speed limit the cars don't know what the hell to do when they get nehind you. The best though is drafting off a car coming down Jackson street hill towards haritage it is easily done. Thanks for the comment. Jesus my blog does get long comments.